Last Updated on by Buayifa
Keeping the kitchen clean during the holidays is almost impossible because you just get so busy with all the festive activities going on.
And as a result, the kitchen becomes the messiest place in the house, after your kids’ room of course.
Funny enough the mess sometimes happens all at the same time or as the days go by.
A little flour, broth, oil, sugar, your kids’ milk, crumbs, you name it.
It all accumulates to make one big messy or in my case a tiny messy kitchen.
I know how annoying this can be, so here are seven tips to keep your kitchen clean this holiday without losing your mind.
This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you click a link and make a purchase, I will earn a small commission. At no extra cost to you. I only recommend products I trust.
To Keep The Kitchen Clean, Make Sure The Sink Is Empty
The first tip to keep your kitchen clean this holiday is by emptying your sink.
So instead of leaving dirty dishes in the sink, you can put them in the dishwasher right away.
You can do this once you have finished cooking or eating.
This leaves you with a clean empty sink and a loaded dishwasher waiting for you to press the go button whenever you are ready.
By so doing, your kitchen will be free or fruit flies since there is no food to perch on.
Pack Leftover Foods & Organize Your Fridge
Instead of leaving leftover foods in the pots or casserole dishes, transfer them into smaller takeout bowls.
So that you can wash and store the pots, pans, and casserole dishes.
This is just a quick way to organize your refrigerator, and make room for other things.
Clean Your Kitchen Floor
Thirdly the kitchen floor can get very messy especially during the holidays.
So here are three options you can use to keep your kitchen floor clean this holiday.
1. Use a Swiffer (the easiest but costly option) –
- Cleaning with a Swiffer is very convenient as you don’t need to squeeze a huge mop and get your skin all dry with the cleaning mixture.
- Another good thing about it is that your kids can also use it and help you out.
- And the Swiffer Wet Jet has both tiled and wooden floor cleaner
- So you just need to replace the pad and cleaning liquid of choice
- But it is not economical if you are on a low budget as you will need to replace the cleaning pads after each use.
So the other option is
2. Use an old T-shirt or towel (the cheaper option)
Cleaning your kitchen floor with an old T-shirt or towel may not be as convenient as a Swiffer, but it is budget-friendly and does the job.
Now tell me who does not have old t-shirts or towels?
Anyway, you can wipe your oily or sticky kitchen floors with a wet towel/t-shirt soaked in a cleaning mixture and water of course
When you are done, you can either wash and reuse the shirt or toss it in the trash.
3. Or Just use the good old mop!
After soaking your hands in the mop solution, make sure to exfoliate them with a good homemade lemon hand scrub.
Clean Your Cooker To Tidy Up Your Kitchen
When the cooker is dirty, it feels to me like the whole kitchen is dirty.
So to keep your kitchen tidy this holiday, make sure to clean your cooker.
If there is burnt food on your cooker,
- wet the spot, and dust on some baking soda.
- When it is a bit soaked, use a wet sponge to wipe the spot,
- The dried food/stain will come off easily
- Then wipe your cooker dry with a small clean dishcloth
Deodorize Your Garbage Disposal To Keep Your Kitchen Tidy
This holiday your garbage disposal will work more than other days.
And if care is not taken, it would stink bad.
I’m sure you know smelly garbage disposal makes a smelly dirty kitchen.
So the fifth tip to keep your kitchen clean this holiday is to deodorize your garbage disposal.
Amazon and grocery stores sell garbage disposal cleaner balls.
After emptying your disposal, drop a ball inside and run some hot water, leave it for a bit then flush down.
The directions on how to use this product are written on the pack.
Clean Or Replace Your Range Hood Filter
The range hood is very important in extracting food smells from the kitchen.
But did you know that after a while, the filter gets clogged and won’t be effective in sucking out food smell?
Yes, it happens a lot.
And that food smell would linger in your kitchen, living room, and maybe move to your bedroom(that is if your place is small like mine).
So you need to clean or replace your range hood filter to keep your kitchen clean this holiday.
This is how I cleaned my range hood filter just a day before Thanksgiving.
- Pull out the filter(very easy to take out and replace)
- Get rid of the bugs on it (yes bugs hide there because it is close to the lightbulb)
- Soak the vent in warm water and dish soap, this will get rid of oil and dust
- Gently shake the filter in the soapy water several times
- Change the soapy water if needed
- When you are sure it is clean, rinse with clean warm water
- Let it dry, then replace it.
- Or replace your filter with a new one if needed.
Take Out The Trash Promptly
We all know that the trash gets full quickly during the holidays.
And while everyone is eating and chilling, you or your kids may forget and toss food in the trash instead of the garbage disposal.
And you know what that means?
Fruit flies will come to feast in your kitchen.
So remember to take out the trash promptly this holiday to avoid fruit flies invasion.
Let’s Wrap Up
To keep your kitchen sparkling this holiday,
- clean or replace kitchen vent
- wipe down cooker
- deodorize garbage disposal
- empty sink and load dishwasher
- wipe the floors
- organize your fridge
- take out the trash promptly
So that’s seven tips to keep your kitchen tidy this holiday and not lose your mind.
How do you maintain a clean and organized kitchen during the holidays?
Please share in the comments, I would love to hear from you.
Thanks for reading!
Remember to pin me.