Last Updated on by Buayifa
Do you want to compare Mercari VS Poshmark to see which is better for selling online?
If you are a newbie reseller, you may want to know the differences, similarities, benefits, and shortcomings of both selling apps.
And that’s what I plan to share with you in this post so that you can decide for yourself.
And in the end, I’d tell you which I prefer and why.
Let’s dive in.
- Selling On Mercari VS Poshmark, Which Is Better?
- Cost of listing
- Selling fee on Poshmark VS Mercari
- Cost of shipping
- Free shipping
- Bundling on Poshmark VS Mercari
- Making Offers on Poshmark VS Mercari
- Direct messaging
- Sharing your listings, Mercari VS Poshmark
- Shipping on your own
- Items you can sell
- Prepaid shipping label, Mercari VS Poshmark
- Selling On Mercari VS Poshmark – The Selling App I Prefer and Why
- Boom! Selling On Mercari VS Poshmark
Selling On Mercari VS Poshmark, Which Is Better?
Cost of listing
Listing on Poshmark is free, likewise Mercari.
Selling fee on Poshmark VS Mercari
Poshmark selling fee is $2.95 for sales under $15. But for sales over $15, Poshmark takes 20% while the seller gets 80%.
Mercari takes 10% of every sale you make, no matter how much that item costs.
Cost of shipping
Poshmark has a standard shipping cost of $7.11 with USPS priority mail, no matter the size, weight(in some cases), or cost of the item.
While Mercari has various shipping rates based on the weight of the item, and several shipping companies to choose from (USPS, FedEx, etc).
You may also enjoy ThredUp VS Poshmark: Which Is A Better Closet Cleanout Platform?
A Poshmark seller can only offer free shipping when sending an offer, and that means they would be paying $7.11 themselves. While on Mercari, sellers can list items with free shipping from the get-go, so buyer sees and knows that they won’t be paying for shipping. And since there are several shipping costs, free shipping may not really hurt the seller (in my opinion).
Bundling on Poshmark VS Mercari
Poshmark buyers can easily create a bundle from a particular seller’s closet by themselves and pay for it. But a Mercari buyer needs to inform the seller to make a bundle of the items they are trying to buy from that seller’s store.
Making Offers on Poshmark VS Mercari
Poshmark buyer sending offers
Buyers can make offers on Poshmark, and the seller can accept, decline, or ignore them.
Poshmark seller sending offers to likers
When selling on Poshmark, you can only send offers to likers with discounted shipping.
This means the buyer pays only $4.50 (instead of $7.11) for shipping, and you are required to pay the remaining $1.50, plus the reduced price you already offered.
Buyers can make offers and the seller can either accept, decline, counter, or ignore them.
Mercari seller sending offers to likers
The Mercari seller can send offers to likers but they are not forced to reduce shipping rates. But if the items are heavy, the seller has the freedom to choose a shipping rate that suits the order. And the buyer is notified before closing the deal.
On Poshmark, every question a buyer asks the seller about a listing appears as a comment, and everyone can see them.
Mercari buyers, on the other hand, can inquire about a listing by sending a private message to the seller. And they can go back and forth until they conclude.
You may also love Mercari Buyer Review: How It Works, The Buyers’ Perspective.
When you refer someone to Poshmark, you make $5 – when they make their first purchase.
While Mercari gives you get a $10 coupon after your referral purchases something on Mercari.
Sharing your listings, Mercari VS Poshmark
You can share your listing as many times as you want for free within and outside Poshmark. You can even share your Poshmark listing on Pinterest and Instagram. How cool is that?
With Mercari, you can only share your listing for free outside (Twitter). And if you must share within Mercari, then you have to use the “promote button” for a fee from your listing price. So your item gets shared, but the price reduces.
Shipping on your own
Poshmark sellers are not allowed to ship on their own. But Mercari sellers can choose to ship on their own as long as they provide a tracking number for the buyer.
Items you can sell
Poshmark just recently introduced its home goods market. So you can sell both wardrobe and home fashion.
But on Mercari, you can sell just about anything as long as it is useful to the buyer. Make sure to check the list of prohibited items.
Prepaid shipping label, Mercari VS Poshmark
Poshmark sends sellers a prepaid UPSP priority mail shipping label once they make a sale. While Mercari does not use USPS priority mail, they send sellers the prepaid shipping label that you selected when listing the item (unless you’re shipping on your own).
Poshmark buyers can return a purchase if there is a flaw that the seller did not mention before. But if it has to do with clothes or shoe size, the buyer may not get a refund.
The same applies to Mercari. But Mercari would ask you, the seller, if you want your item back before confirming the return.
On Poshmark, your buyer gives you a rating after they receive the item and are satisfied with it, and then you get your funds. The same goes for Mercari, but you only get paid after you rate the buyer.
The Poshmark seller is not required to rate the buyer.
You may also love How Mercari Works For Sellers Plus Tips To Make Sales.
Selling On Mercari VS Poshmark – The Selling App I Prefer and Why
Now that we’ve compared selling on Poshmark to Mercari, I am going to tell you which of them I prefer, and why.
Reasons why I like selling on Mercari
- On Mercari, conversations and enquiries about listsings are private.
- There are several shipping rates, and also free shipping, which benefits both sellers and buyers.
- Buyers can save items in their Mercari cart for later.
- I have made more sales and money on Mercari (obvious reason, right?)
- I’ve got some good deals for myself and my kids with free shipping on Mercari
What I don’t like about selling on Mercari
- The buyer initiates a return, and Mercari acts in favor of the buyer before even contacting the seller. You only get a message asking if you want your item back after they have agreed that the buyer returns the purchase.
- You don’t get to see your buyer’s rating before you rate them. So their 1-star rating may come as a surprise after you have given them a 5-star rating.
- Mercari always suggests shipping for your listing, and if one is not careful, that shipping cost may prevent that item from selling. Imagine a $5 pair of shoes with $11 shipping. In my opinion, that is darn outrageous. But some sellers do not accept the suggested shipping, so you can still find affordable shoes with lesser shipping cost.
Reasons why I like Poshmark
- You can share your listing every day for free.
- Poshmark sellers share each other’s listings. I like that.
Reasons why I do not like selling on Poshmark
- The cost of selling is way too much no matter how I try to look at it.
- Also, the cost of shipping is too stiff. Imagine paying $7.11 to ship a pair of earrings on Poshmark. Whereas that same pair of earrings would ship for $2.99 on Mercari.
You may also love Not Making Sales On Poshmark? 8 Possible Reasons Why!
Boom! Selling On Mercari VS Poshmark
So that’s Mercari VS Poshmark, to help you understand which is better for selling from home.
And if you are still asking me, here’s my answer “I prefer selling on Mercari over Poshmark” for obvious reasons.
Are you currently selling or just started selling on both of these Apps?
Please share your experience, and also let us know which of them you prefer selling on, and why.
I hope you find this post helpful.
If you have any questions, please ask. I’ll be more than happy to answer them.
Thanks for reading!
And remember to pin me.