Last Updated on by Buayifa Ojeogwu
Do you want to learn how to sell on Facebook Marketplace, and make extra money from home?
These days everyone and their grandmas are selling stuff on Facebook Marketplace.
Facebook Marketplace is like an online yard sale where lots of people sell stuff and make money within and outside their communities.
So if you want to get on the train and start selling there, read on.
In this post, we’ll cover how to sell on Facebook Marketplace, how it works, tips to make sales, safety tips when meeting with a buyer, and more.
Let’s dive in.
How To Start Selling On Facebook Marketplace
Here’s how to sell on Facebook Marketplace.
- At the top of your Facebook Profile, you’d see the Marketplace icon
- Click on it
- Then choose sell and the category of your listing
- Add enough pictures of your item from different angles, including the flaws
- Name your listing, add the price and description,
- Then select shipping only, or shipping and local pickup.
- Click next at the top right of the page, and choose all the places you want to publish your listing.
- Then click publish.
- Your item will be seen everywhere on Facebook Marketplace.
What sellers must know about selling on Facebook Marketplace
The Facebook marketplace selling fee is only 5%. I think that’s a good deal compared to Mercari that takes 10% of your sales.
You can list or cross-list your items on Facebook marketplace free of charge.
Prepaid shipping label
The Facebook marketplace sends you a prepaid shipping label whenever you make a sale. This makes shipping convenient.
Several shipping rates
There are several shipping rates to ship various sizes of items on the Facebook marketplace.
And they are quite reasonable, and won’t discourage buyers.
Facebook pays sellers through direct deposit
Another thing you must know is that Facebook pays your earnings directly to your bank account.
So if you sell a shirt on Monday, and sell a bag on Thursday, you’d get your Monday earnings first, and the other will be paid later.
But if the days are close and the buyers receive their orders at the same time, then both payouts will be deposited.
Facebook does not keep your earnings as store credit
Any sale you make, the money would be sent to your bank. There’s nothing like store credit on Facebook Marketplace.
What you can sell
Sellers can list anything for sale on the Facebook marketplace. Just make sure to follow the selling guidelines.
Here’s just a few of many things you can sell in Facebook marketplace.
- House rentals
- Handmade items too
You may also like 7 Great Places To Find Items To Resell in 2021.
Tips To Make Sales On Facebook Marketplace
When you list your items and add shipping, more people would be interested in your listing. And that means they can buy your items wherever they are in the country.
And Facebook marketplace shipping rates are quite reasonable compared to Mercari or Poshmark.
So paying for shipping won’t be too much for your buyer.
Set your listing to allow offers
Another great tip to makes sales on Facebook is to turn on the allow offers button, so buyers can make offers.
And you know offers are binding, so accept if it’s a good offer, otherwise you decline.
You know what to do.
Use a cross-listing app to cross-post your products
With a cross-posting app, you can import existing listings from other marketplaces to the Facebook marketplace and vice versa.
My favorite cross-posting app is Crosslist.
It is fast, easy to use, and you can edit your pictures altogether before posting them to several marketplaces.
Read more about Crosslist Cross-posting App: How To Save Time And Make Sales.
Crosslist is currently giving users a 7-day free trial without your credit card. And when that is done, get 50% off your first month with coupon code BUDGETANDMOMJEANS.
Price your items a bit lower than other marketplaces
Some buyers see Facebook marketplace as a thrift store, so they expect reasonable prices.
So maybe you can adjust your prices a little to attract buyers and sell faster.
Just don’t cheat yourself.
Reduce prices of items that are getting a lot of views and likes
Normally, Facebook would suggest that you reduce the price of a listing when it is getting a lot of views and likes.
The few times I accepted and reduced my prices, I made sales on the same day or next.
So you can experiment with that too.
Renew your listings
To get your listings in front of your buyers, another thing you can do is to renew your listings in Facebook.
You can renew your items in the marketplace every 7 days, I think.
So it goes up in search results and maybe bring in new buyers.
You may also enjoy 13 Reseller Supplies You Need To Sell Online For Beginners.
Reply to buyers on time
Another tip to make sales on Facebook Marketplace is to reply to buyers’ messages on time.
Some people want to see more pictures and ask some questions. So reply while they’re excited and really interested in your product.
Because some buyers never come back after the first message.
Still serious buyers would still buy from you even if you reply later.
Take clear pictures and describe your items
Yeah, make sure to take clear pictures, describe your items, and get pictures of labels, measurements, etc.
Give as much information about your products as you can. So buyers know all they need to know and won’t message you with more questions.
And they can quickly make up their minds and hit buy now.
When listing your products, remember to use hashtags.
That’s another thing that can spread your listings far and wide and helps them appear in search results.
And you’d make more sales.
You may also like Poshmark VS Mercari – Which Is Better For Selling Online.
Post your listings to yardsale groups
Once you start selling on Facebook, you can request to join Facebook Marketplace yard sale groups.
Then you can share your listings to those groups to get sellers in your area.
Just make sure to stick to the group rules, so you don’t get kicked out.
You may also like How Mercari Works For Sellers Plus Tips To Make Sales.
Why You Should Sell On Facebook Marketplace
- Facebook Marketplace is easy to sell on, and it has lots of users looking for deals.
- You’d be open to new buyers, so things that are not selling on Mercari or Poshmark may sell faster on Facebook.
- Listing and selling on Facebook Marketplace are free.
- .Your listing will be seen in Facebook users’ news feed, within the Marketplace, and also in community yard sale groups.
- It is a great way to declutter your home while making coffee money.
- Buyers can chat with you on Facebook Messenger to inquire about your listing.
- And you are not sharing any vital information like your address, credit card information, and all that.
- You can mark items as sold, if it was sold on somewhere else.
Safety Tips When Meeting A Buyer
If you ask me, I think I actually prefer shipping items on Facebook marketplace.
With that being said, you’d still have a few buyers from your area that want to meet.
So here are some safety tips for meeting buyers from Facebook marketplace.
- Do NOT invite a buyer to your home.
- Meet them in public places like gas stations, parking lots, crowded places, etc.
- Ask for cash only, and make sure you have lower denominations for change
- Having change speeds up the transaction and leaves no room for dangerous intentions.
- Stay or stand where lots of people can see and help you just in case the transaction becomes dangerous.
- Keep chatting on messenger. Don’t give them your phone number.
If all of these do not work for you, just ship the item.
Let’s Wrap Up!
So that’s how selling on Facebook works.
I hope this post helps you start selling on Facebook marketplace and make more money even when Mercari and Poshmark are dry.
Do you sell on the Facebook marketplace? Please share your tips for making more sales with us.
Thanks for reading.
Please share this post on Pinterest.