Last Updated on by Buayifa Ojeogwu
Today I’m coming at you with two DIY coffee scrub recipes you can make with used or fresh coffee grounds.
So think twice before tossing the used coffee grounds in the bin.
Before we go further, let’s talk about the coffee grounds.
If you are making coffee scrubs with used coffee grounds, make sure it is completely dry, as moisture or water can ruin the recipe.
But if you make it with fresh coffee grounds, your scrub would last a long time in the refrigerator.
So if you can’t go through the trouble of drying your wet coffee grounds, just use dry grounds from your coffee canister.
Let’s get started.
DISCLOSURE: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you click the links and make a purchase, I may earn a commission. At no extra cost to you. I only recommend products I trust.
DIY Coconut Oil Coffee Scrub Recipe
How to make coconut oil coffee scrub
- 1 cup coffee grounds
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- A bowl and spoon
- Wide-mouth mason jar with a lid
- In a bowl, mix the coffee grounds, brown sugar, and coconut oil together
- When it is well combined, scoop with a spoon into your clean mason jar and store it in refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
You may also like Homemade Oatmeal Coffee Scrub – How To Make It
How to use your DIY coffee coconut oil scrub
- After a shower, massage this coffee sugar scrub into your skin,
- then rinse off after several minutes.
- Be careful, your shower or bathtub will be slippery because of the coconut oil
- Don’t dry your skin with a towel, let the water dry on your body and absorb the coconut oil
- Then get dressed and go about your business.
DIY Honey Coffee Scrub Recipe
After making and using this DIY honey coffee scrub, you would definitely add an extra pack of coffee grounds to your grocery list.
You can make this coffee body scrub with used or unused coffee grounds and you’d still get an awesome body polish.
The best thing about this scrub is that it gets better with time…like fine wine.
Now let’s make it.
How to make coffee honey scrub
- Mix both ingredients together in the bowl, and transfer your scrub into your glass jar/container with a lid.
- Store the coffee body scrub in your refrigerator or counter overnight, to give the coffee time to soak up the honey before using it.
- It would also make the scrub richer, thicker, and very sticky so you may want to add some more honey to make your coffee scrub runny.
- And you would notice the brown richness of coffee and honey when applying it to your skin.
How to use DIY honey coffee body scrub
- As usual, it is ideal to exfoliate your skin after it has been washed.
- So after a shower, make sure to pat your skin with a towel until it is just damp.
- Then apply the DIY coffee honey scrub evenly all over your body.
- After that, gently scrub in circular motions.
- You would notice the thick creamy coffee honey mixture.
- You won’t get that if you made and used your honey coffee scrub the same day.
- Let the scrub sit for about 10 to 15 minutes or as long as you wish.
- Then rinse it off under the shower.
- Your skin would feel smooth, refreshed, and deeply moisturized.
- You can dry your skin with a towel afterward and apply light moisturizer.
You may also enjoy How To Make DIY Foaming Sugar Coffee Scrub Under $3
Directions for making coffee scrub with used coffee grounds
- First, make sure your used coffee grounds are completely dry before mixing them with your honey or coconut oil.
- If it is wet, the scrub would be too runny, that is, when mixed with honey. And this makes it incinvenient to use.
- Also, the wet coffee grounds would contaminate your coffee scrub in a few days.
- And you don’t want that.
How to dry used coffee grounds
- Spread your used coffee grounds thinly on a flat tray or baking sheet and sun-dry it.
- Toss it about now and then, just to make sure every grain dries up.
- When it is completely dry, pour it into an airtight container and store it in a cool dry place.
- Or use it immediately if you wish.
Things to look out for, and what you need to know
Remember that coffee takes time to absorb other liquid ingredients like coconut oil or honey, so it is ideal to let your coffee scrub sit overnight before using it.
If you’re worried about the shelf life of coffee scrubs, they keep well for weeks in the refrigerator as long as they are moisture-free(without water).
I’ve done this several times.
But if you’re not comfortable keeping your scrub for days, just mix and use it the same day.
Read more about Natural Products For Skin Care: Everything You Must Know.
Also, your skin may appear a bit darker even after rinsing off a coffee scrub. But never mind, it is just leftover coffee and you can wash it off with soap if you like.
Or wear dark-colored clothes, and wait until the next day to wash off residual coffee in the shower.
I just wanted to put it out there to save you from wondering what stained your yellow or white shirt after skin exfoliation.
Now, I love both coffee scrub recipes, but I’d use them at different times of the year.
For winter, I’d use the coconut oil coffee sugar scrub, but during summer, the coffee honey scrub is best, at least for me.
As I’m not enthusiastic about applying more oil to my skin when the weather is hot.
Benefits Of Coffee & Honey To The Skin
There are lots of benefits of using coffee and honey on the skin but let’s look at a few.
- Normally exfoliation gets rid of dead skin, but this DIY coffee body scrub also polishes your skin in the process.
- Coffee is a great home remedy for dark pigmentation on the skin, especially on the butt and thighs.
- Coffee mixed with honey is an excellent solution for strawberry skin.
- While the coffee grounds exfoliate and slough off dead skin cells, it also opens up the pores to absorb the moisturizing benefits of honey or coconut oil.
- Also, the honey moisturizes and brightens the skin, showing your skin’s natural glow.
- This homemade body scrub is almost an all-rounder as it also fights acne on the face and body.
So that’s how to make DIY coffee scrub with used or unused coffee grounds mixed with any ingredients of your choice.
You can use the coffee honey scrub as a quick face glow scrub or mask to clear and brighten your face before applying makeup.
I hope you enjoyed making these coffee scrub recipes with me.
Did you make these coffee scrub recipes?
Please be a darling and share this post on Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter.
Thanks for reading!