Last Updated on by Bree
Hey! Let me show you two DIY coffee scrub recipes you can make with used coffee grounds.
So think twice before tossing the used coffee grounds in the bin.
Before we go further, let’s discuss making body scrubs with used coffee grounds.
Let’s get started.
DISCLOSURE: This post contains affiliate links. If you click the links and purchase, I may earn a commission at no extra cost. I only recommend products I trust.
How to make body scrubs with used coffee grounds
If you make coffee scrubs with used coffee grounds, ensure it is completely dry, as moisture or water can ruin the recipe.
But if you make it with fresh coffee grounds, your scrub will last a long time in the refrigerator.
So if you can’t go through the trouble of drying your wet coffee grounds, use dry grounds from your coffee canister.
1. DIY coconut oil coffee scrub recipe with used coffee grounds
Ingredients to make coconut oil coffee scrub
- 1 cup of coffee grounds
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- A bowl and spoon
- Wide-mouth mason jar with a lid
- In a bowl, mix the coffee grounds, brown sugar, and coconut oil
- When it is well combined, spoon the coffee scrub into a clean mason jar and store it in the fridge until you’re ready to use it.
You may also like Homemade Oatmeal Coffee Scrub – How To Make It.
How to use your DIY coffee coconut oil scrub
- After a shower, massage this coffee sugar scrub into your skin,
- then rinse off after several minutes.
- Be careful. Your shower or bathtub will be slippery because of the coconut oil.
- Don’t dry your skin with a towel.
- Let the water dry on your body, and your skin absorbs the coconut oil.
- Then get dressed and go about your business.
2. DIY honey coffee scrub recipe – body polish
After making and using this DIY honey coffee scrub, you will add another pack of coffee grounds to your grocery list.
You can make this coffee body scrub with used coffee grounds.
And you’d still get an excellent body polish.
The best thing about this scrub is that it improves with time, like fine wine.
Now let’s make it.
Ingredients to make coffee honey scrub
- 1 cup of used coffee grounds,
- 1/2 cup honey
- A bowl and spoon to mix,
- A container with a lid.
- Mix the dried used coffee grounds and honey in a bowl
- When both ingredients are well-combined, scoop the honey coffee scrub into your glass jar/container with a lid.
- Then store the coffee body scrub in your fridge or countertop overnight.
- Give the coffee time to soak up the honey before using it.
- It also makes the scrub richer, thicker, and sticky.
- So you may want to add more honey to make your coffee scrub runnier.
- And you will notice the brown richness of coffee and honey when applying it to your skin.
You may also like this DIY Coffee Cocoa Body Scrub
How to use a DIY honey coffee body scrub
- As usual, it is ideal to exfoliate your skin after washing.
- So after a shower, pat your skin with a towel until it is damp.
- Then apply the DIY coffee honey scrub evenly all over your body.
- After that, gently scrub in circular motions.
- You would notice the thick creamy coffee honey mixture.
- You won’t get that if you made and used your honey coffee scrub the same day.
- Let the scrub sit for about 10 to 15 minutes or as long as you wish.
- Then rinse it off under the shower.
- Your skin will feel smooth, refreshed, and deeply moisturized.
- You can dry your skin with a towel and apply a light moisturizer afterward.
You may also enjoy How To Make DIY Foaming Sugar Coffee Scrub Under $3
Instructions for making a body scrub with used coffee grounds
- Spread your wet used coffee grounds on a flat tray or baking sheet and sun-dry it. Or dry it in the oven.
- Toss it about now and then to make sure every grain dries up.
- When the coffee grounds are dry, mix them with your wet ingredients to make your preferred coffee body scrub.
- Then store your scrub in an airtight container in a cold, dry place.
- Or use it immediately if you wish.
- The scrub will be runny if your used coffee grounds are wet when you mix them with honey. And this makes it unsuitable to use.
- Also, if the used coffee grounds are moist, you’d have mold growing on your scrub in a couple of days.
- And you don’t want that.
What you need to know about making and using coffee scrubs.
The coffee grounds are super dry.
So it takes time for coffee to absorb liquid ingredients like coconut oil or honey.
It’s best to let your coffee scrub recipe sit overnight before using it.
Coffee scrubs made with used coffee grounds may have short shelf lives
If your coffee grounds are completely dry, your coffee scrub may last a few days.
But if there’s any trace of moisture in your used coffee grounds, the scrub may not last two days.
So please keep it in your fridge and use it within a day.
Also, coffee scrubs made with unused coffee grounds would last weeks on your countertop.
Just remember moisture can contaminate your coffee scrub.
Coffee scrubs may stain your skin.
Your skin may appear slightly darker after exfoliating and rinsing off a coffee scrub on your body.
But never mind, it is just leftover coffee residue.
And you can wash it off with soap if you like.
Or wear dark-colored clothes.
And wait until the next day to wash off residual coffee in the shower.
I just wanted to put it out there to save you from wondering what stained your bright colors top after skin exfoliation.
Always use a separate container for the coffee scrub you’re going to use
Add the coffee scrub you want to use into another container before exfoliating with it.
Again, this is to keep the leftover scrub from moisture.
Fungi will grow on your coffee scrub once water gets into it.
When to use the coffee scrub recipes
I love both coffee scrub recipes, but I’d use them at different times of the year.
- I’d use the coconut oil coffee sugar scrub.
- Because it will relieve dry skin, moisturize and protect it from the weather.
- The coffee honey scrub is best during summer.
- Since honey moisturizes but doesn’t have or leave oil on your skin.
- Besides, who needs extra oil on their skin during summer?
Please read these posts:
Benefits of coffee & honey to the skin
There are many benefits of using coffee and honey on the skin but let’s look at a few.
- Typically, exfoliation removes dead skin, but this DIY coffee body scrub also polishes your skin.
- Coffee is an excellent home remedy for dark pigmentation on the skin, especially on the butt and thighs.
- Coffee mixed with honey is an excellent solution for strawberry skin.
- While the coffee grounds exfoliate and slough off dead skin cells, it also opens up the pores to absorb the moisturizing benefits of honey or coconut oil.
- Also, the honey moisturizes and brightens the skin, showing your skin’s natural glow.
- This homemade body scrub with used coffee grounds is an all-rounder as it also fights acne on the face and body.
So that’s two coffee scrub recipes you can make from used coffee grounds.
You can use the coffee honey scrub as a quick face glow scrub.
Or mask to clear and brighten your face before applying makeup.
I hope you enjoyed making these coffee scrub recipes with me.
Did you make a body scrub with used coffee grounds?
Please let me know your thoughts in the comments.
Also, please share this post on Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter.
Thanks for reading!