Last Updated on by Buayifa Ojeogwu
If you’re looking to get a bang for your buck in fashion items, then consider shopping on Poshmark.
While I’ve only sold a few items on Poshmark, I have bought a good amount of stuff there, so I know how buying on Poshmark works.
So if you’re a beginner, and need to know what Poshmark is like for buyers, keep reading.
In this post, we’ll talk about what you need to know before spending your hard-earned money on the Poshmark marketplace.
Let’s dive in.
11 Tips For Buying On Poshmark For Beginners
1. Sign up with a referral code before buying stuff on Poshmark
Before you start shopping on Poshmark, you’d need to download the app on mobile, sign in with Facebook or create an account with your email address.
But make sure to use a referral code when signing up for the first time.
When you do this, you’d get a $10 bonus after you make your first purchase.
You can sign up with my link if you want.
2. Search with several terms when shopping on Poshmark
Because different sellers would name their listings with several names, you also need to be strategic when searching for things on Poshmark.
For instance, if I’m searching for running shorts, I’d type running shorts, workout shorts, and any other name sellers may call it.
And the thing is you’ll never know all the terms people use for the same product until your search results come in.
So take note of the terms you see and use them next time you’re shopping on Poshmark.
3. Filter your search by size, color, condition, etc
Another tip for shopping on Poshmark is to filter your search to get relevant results.
On the top menu, you’d see filter, sort, category, brand, size, color, price, etc.
Make sure to use them to filter out unnecessary stuff, and only view what you’re looking for.
Just a tip: no matter what you’re buying on Poshmark, always choose “like-new” or “new” condition.
Unless you’re fine with buying “good“. Sometimes good is actually like-new, but it depends on the seller.
But make sure you view all pictures or ask for additional ones because Poshmark won’t approve your refund if you were aware of the condition of the item and purchased it anyway.
And if you’re searching for an item for the first time, you can sort by price “low to high” but if you’re coming back for the most recent listings, then sort by “just-in”.
4. Save items you’d love to buy with the “like” button
After all that searching and filtering when shopping on Poshmark, you would want to save items you like with the “like” button.
And you can buy them whenever you’re ready, that is if it’s still available.
Also, when you save items, you’re giving the seller cues that you’re interested in buying, then they can send you offers.
More on that soon…
5. Consider buying bundles on Poshmark
If you’re shopping on Poshmark and find something you like, you can check the seller’s closet if they have more or similar items.
I do that when I’m shopping for tops or jeans. I might even end up buying both items from one seller.
And that’s what they call bundling.
Buying several things from one seller, and getting them all shipped in one box as one purchase.
So if you’d love to buy several things from one Poshmark seller, use the bundle button and add your picks.
Depending on the seller, you may get a discount for buying bundles. Take note of that.
How to buy bundles on Poshmark
Now buying bundles when shopping on Poshmark is slightly different from Mercari’s as you’d be creating the bundles yourself.
While on Mercari, you have to ask the seller to create bundles for you.
So you’ve found several shirts from one seller and want to make a bundle, follow the steps below.
- Open the listing and scroll towards the bottom, just under comment, you’d see “add to bundle”.
- Click on it, and the item would be added to your “shopping cart”
- Do the same for all the items you want to buy from that seller, then go ahead to pay for your shopping.
- If the seller offers a discount on bundles, it would be deducted and then you can pay the total.
The reason you should take advantage of bundling is that it saves you money on shipping on single items.
You may also love to read How To Bundle Items On Mercari To Save On Shipping – With Pictures
6. Make offers when you shop on Poshmark
When shopping on Poshmark, don’t be afraid to haggle prices with sellers.
You can do that by offering a lower amount for the item.
How to make an offer on Poshmark
- At the bottom right of the listing page(on mobile phone), you’d see “offer”, and “buy now”.
- Click “offer”, then enter the “offered amount”, and click “next”,
- Then check that your payment method and address are accurate, then “submit offer” (blue botton at the bottom of the page).
- The seller may accept, counter, ignore, or decline your offer.
Now if the seller already mentioned in the listing that the price is firm, then there’s no need to make an offer.
Just save yourself the stress.
7. Wait for offers from Poshmark sellers
Now if you don’t want to make offers, you can wait for sellers to send you offers.
The good thing about sellers sending offers to likers is that they’re required to offer you a lower shipping rate.
So you’re not only paying less for the item, but you’re also paying lower for shipping.
That’s a good deal if you ask me.
But if you’re sending an offer, then you’d pay the full shipping cost.
8. Make inquiries in the comments
While I’m not a fan of this feature, commenting under listings is the only way buyers and sellers communicate on Poshmark.
So if you have any questions regarding a listing, use the comments, and the seller would reply to you there.
Don’t be scared to ask if the item is from smoke or pet-free or friendly home.
And you guys can go back and forth until you are satisfied and buy the item or whatever.
9. Make sure to check all pictures and read descriptions
If a seller lists items with multiple pictures, take your time and check all of them when shopping on Poshmark.
And when they mention flaws and say see picture #2 or whatever, please check it.
Like I said earlier, your refund won’t be granted if the seller mentioned all the flaws which are also your reasons for returning the item.
10. Compare prices when buying on Poshmark
When you find something you like, check and compare the price to other sellers’.
You may be lucky to find the same item for a lower price, or maybe what you found is already the best offer.
So just do a quick search, maybe with the brand name, and you’d see if you’re getting the best deal.
11. When in doubt, don’t buy
Say you found a gorgeous pair of shoes on Poshmark, and haven’t seen or heard of that brand before, don’t be in a hurry to pay for it yet.
You can quickly do a Google search and see what comes up.
Of course, you won’t know every brand on the market, that’s why the Google search is helpful.
Now, if I see that the shoe is sold at Macy’s, Kohl’s, and other popular stores, then I might buy it.
But if I’m seeing online stores I haven’t heard of before – mind you, they might be genuine, but I just can’t verify them – then I won’t buy those shoes.
Also, if something is not your style, don’t buy it in hopes that it would be your style someday.
You may also love to read these related posts
- Mercari Buyer Review: How It Works, The Buyers’ Perspective
- Selling on Poshmark – How To Start, What You Need To Know
- Mercari VS Poshmark – Which Is Better For Selling Online?
- ThredUp VS Poshmark: Which Is A Better Closet Cleanout Platform?
- Not Making Sales On Poshmark? 8 Possible Reasons Why
- Can You Make Money Selling Clothes on ThredUp?
How Buying On Poshmark Works For Beginners
So those are 11 tips for buying on Poshmark for beginners to find the best deals.
- Sign up with a referral link to get free $10,
- make offers on items you like,
- check all pictures,
- ask questions even if they seem stupid, which I doubt,
- and get a bang for your buck.
I hope you find this post helpful.
If you have any questions about buying on Poshmark, please leave them in the comments, I’ll be here to answer them.
Thanks for reading.
Please share this post on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and other social platforms you hang out.